Monday, October 19, 2015

Week 9: Space Opera

Well, pretty much like everyone else in the western world, when I hear the words 'space opera', I immediately think of Star Wars. And then I think about Star Trek. Mostly because they're the most popular space operas to come out to the public and were of course, widely successful.

As a child (actually even now I would read it) I read a bunch of Star Wars novels involving Anakin Skywalker's life from when he was picked up by Qui-Gonn, to when he became a Jedi Knight (Revenge of the Sith). I thought these were super interesting to read actually, especially knowing that the main character would eventually become one of the most feared villains of all time.

In addition to these, I also really loved the books that illustrated long after the Empire fell; when Han and Leia's kids had grandkids! It was very enjoyable to read and very refreshing.

I even went so far as to write my own sequel to the sixth book, involving Luke Skywalker and a lost spirit recalling technology that was found to bring back Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader as two separate beings. It also (somehow) brings back Yoda and Anakin's rival from his Padawan days (Ferus Olin), who Darth Vader killed between the fifth and sixth movie. It was a fairly complicated plot, there were a bunch of scraggly drawings at the bottom of each page(the drawings were probably worse than I remember) and I don't think it made a WHOLE lot of sense, but I thought it wasn't bad for a ten year old!

But yeah, Star Wars is my space jam. Haha get it. Space Jam. Okay I'll stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment