Monday, October 12, 2015

Week 8: Mythic Fiction and Contemporary Urban Fantasy

Today in class we watched Coraline and seeing how they translated the novel to the movie was very interesting and fun to watch. I actually didn't see the movie; this was the first time I was seeing the movie. Given that I already knew the plot, I was focusing on the cinematography and animation (mostly cause we're learning both in classes: I'm a Computer Animation major).

I think that the fact that LAIKA endeavored on this film was very surprising, but also very unsurprising. The plot is pretty perfect for an animated film: interesting, exaggerated, and suspenseful. Although some of the themes are cliche (curiosity kills the cat, be careful what you sit for), the visuals made up for whatever doubts I had about the movie. The mere fact that this movie was made with stop-motion makes it all the more creepy and hooking. The slight stiffness and surrealism of the animation totally fits the tone of the movie. I thought it was a very good balance, fluid when it had to be, yet "jagged" in some instances. The interesting thing was that I thought that the Other Mother and her world's animation was more fluid and interesting than the real world's animation.

The movie also had another key character that wasn't present in the book: Wyborn "Wybie" Lovat wasn't mentioned at all in the book, but in the movie he was seen as annoying and quirky. His other, mute self is a strong ally in the Other World, essentially sacrificing himself for her. In the end he saves her life again by crushing the Other Mother's hand.

The movie definitely succeeded in thoroughly creeping me out, and I didn't even get to the scary part yet! Definitely would watch, and I'm going to finish it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment