Thursday, November 26, 2015

Week 14: Satire and Sci-Fi

This week I read the famous Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.  I did watch the movies before, but I haven't read the books, but I'm really glad I did. The movies don't compare to the books in my opinion, just because I feel like there's something in a book that a movie can't match....yeah images are worth a thousand words but if those words are amazing I think it's worth the time it takes to read it.

I forgot where but I read somewhere that the districts are supposed to be in post apocalyptic America, and they were supposed to be in major cities, the Capital being in Washington D.C. When compared to other post apocalyptic fiction novels, the Hunger Games shows many similarities to different categories within this genre. Since nowhere in the series does it actually say what caused the apocalypse that made America into Panem, the disaster is left up to the us to imagine. But, this society definitely had the ability to create nuclear weapons. One was even used by the Capital to annihilate District 13. Nuclear war could have created mass panic and the fragmentation of the current government leading to chaos. Usually when there mass chaos and the absence of guidance for the people, one individual or group tends to rise above the rest and take control, aka Prez Snow.

One big theme is survival. Survival seems to be the most obvious one as the point of the Hunger Games is to be the last one standing. Throughout the novels, all Katniss thinks about is surviving and helping Peeta survive as well. In fact, one of the only bits of advice that Haymitch, their mentor, offers is to “Stay alive”. This applies not only to the fights in the games, but also (especially in Mockingjay), to the rebellion against The Capital.

No comments:

Post a Comment