Sunday, August 16, 2015

Week 1: Frankenstein/Goth

The gothic look/concept has been present in popular culture for many years, especially in the form of 'counterculture', which is defined as "a way of life opposed to the prevailing social norm". I'm certain it was thought of as weird and scary even back when it first came to be. Even now, there seems to be a negative connotation on the word.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of goth is fashion. The "gothic look" has been around for the last 15 years or so, and has been relatively popular in the last 6 years. Whenever I see someone sporting the "gothic look", I usually see black clothes, black lipstick, heavy eyeliner/eyeshadow, big black boots, and some sort of dark jewelry. Sometimes these would be paired with something red. A lot of the time the jewelry is in the form of skulls, wings, or crosses. People will also wear the apparel of gothic bands, ripped jeans, black nail polish, black necklaces and wrist braces. If the individual really wants to commit to the culture then they would get tattoos that are usually big and show-offy. One person I saw on "America's Got Talent", even had eye contacts to show off his look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3jsyDW76E   
In any case, it became extremely popular, and I don't think anyone wouldn't know about the goth look.

Also, I've noticed many younger kids in middle school wearing goth clothes and sporting counterculture wear, but I feel like we think its okay when we're younger, but we become much more self aware when we become older. Even though I didn't wear gothic clothing then, I still ask myself why I wore the horrible clothing I did.

All in all, gothic fashion is very prominent, very popular, and is amazingly still barely socially acceptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment